View Single Post
Old 07-16-2021, 11:44 AM   #7
JohnMckroidJr

Quote:
Originally Posted by iethinker View Post
As I'm sure you will agree, this process is necessary and educational for any kayak angler. (Both rolling and rebuilding a reel) You will enjoy learning about your gear and saving money!

Remove the spool and set aside.

Take a small plastic tub (like from deli-meat) with about 1-inch of gasoline.

Fully disassemble the reel throwing all mechanical parts into the gasoline. Just go for it.

Gently shake or agitate the tub with all the parts and the gasoline dissolves the grease that holds the debris. After agitation there should be a layer of grease and sand at the bottom of the tub.

Remove parts one by one and set on towel to dry.

I rinse my parts-free frame in a sink then use a brush with some more gasoline over a tub to remove any remaining grease and sand. Let it dry.

Download the reel schematic from manufacturer or parts vendor.

Inspect parts and as minimum order new OEM bearings. Check spool for bearings too. Have reel grease and reel oil....nothing fancy required.

Be double certain any level-wind worm-gear is totally free of sand and debris.

Receive replacement parts.

Before re-installing the spool pull some line off as deep as necessary to remove the amount that's packed with sand.

Re-assemble

Go fishing
Sounds like you have done this rodeo before. I have never tried gasoline. The engineers on the ships I work on use diesel all the time as a solvent for removing grime. They also like marvel mystery oil. Thanks for your comments.

Last edited by JohnMckroidJr; 07-16-2021 at 11:51 AM.
JohnMckroidJr is offline   Reply With Quote