View Single Post
Old 08-20-2013, 10:40 PM   #7
Drake

From an older thread
Quote:
Originally Posted by lowprofile View Post
CorVina.

Both wsb and corvina are in the bay. Hard to tell though.
Quote:
Originally Posted by October View Post
crap dude, I dont know, it does look like a short fin Corvina

http://www.bombolinis.com/shortfin-corvina.bmp

if it was, then ya he was all good and the DFG might have really embarrassed you. I cant really tell though, any WSB experts out there?
Quote:
Originally Posted by vincentek9 View Post
orange mouth corvina. i've caught them and i've caught shorty wsb before. juvi wsb has YELLOW tail and bars on their body. also have a bit smaller mouth. the 'vinas have some big mouths and BLACK tails. and the orange mouth with some fangs.

here is a picture comparison of corvina vs juvi wsb.

vina vina

baby seabass
Quote:
Originally Posted by deepdvr View Post
Check for the zipper on the bottom of the fish. WSB will always have that raised ridge on the belly. Corvina don't. Can't tell from the photo.
Quote:
Originally Posted by kobra View Post
Another way to tell the difference is the tail. One has a convex tail and one has a concave tail. I'm old so I don't remember which one has which. Sorry. The bars on the juvie wsb are sometimes hard to see cuz they are really faint. For me, the zipper and the tail are the easiest way to tell the difference.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Divad View Post
Yep! WSB, I caught one before in Carlsbad Lagoon, and the raised ridge on the bottom was the give away!
Quote:
Originally Posted by fishingfiend View Post
If he said it was a corvina and then mentioned it was not a WSB, he knows whats up. ie. he's not your normal pier rat who does not have a clue. That would have been reason enough for me to move along. Either way, thank you for paying attention. There are not enough DFG personnel to protect our waters.

Pulled a bunch of these last week at Dana Point in the 12"+ range for comparison.
Quote:
Originally Posted by T-Rex View Post
No visible bars, no belly ridge and no dark spot at base of pecs = corvina.