Thread: Islander Trip
View Single Post
Old 10-06-2008, 04:12 PM   #8
Holy Mackerel
Señor member

Travelled Thursday night, woke up, to what I believe was China Pt. Kinda windy out... This was a kayak fishing/spearing trip.

I decided to hit up the kelp beds and look for fish...

Water was kinda green tint with patches of blue, overal 25-30ft vis. Lots of calicos, blue perch, senoritas, some smelt swimming around. Pretty awesome
kelp bed. Didn't take any shots on any fish. Swam to near shore, looked for lobsters, but surge was bad, didn't want to push my luck. Greeted by a harbor seal
as I got back on my kayak.

Not much else going on in this bed, hit up the next one, and met up with CJ. Saw more Calicos, and Decided to pull the trigger on this
calico to eat as tacos when I returned from this trip.

After about 3 hours of diving on two beds, I used my sails, and rudder to get me back to the M/V Islander, and when I was within 20 yards of the vessel, I smelled burgers
cooking, nothing better than hot food, and a cold beer, after a day on the water.

Decided to just relax on the boat for the afternoon, and boat fish. Not much but a few C&R calicos, and sculpin. A couple other divers were dropped off in the skiff for
some diving.

Settled in for the night, on the front side, nice sunset, beer, and more good food.

Next AM decided to try my hand at a little kayak fishing... some had some luck with yellows 8-24lbs... with bonito mixed in...

In the afternoon, the skiff dropped us off around the point for a nice drift dive, I wish I had my camera, nice BLUE water, and huge kelp stalks, saw a big bat ray just
swimming, of course more calicos, perch, opal eye, cuda's, smelt, one diver reported bonito 30 ft down. No fish taken, but an amazing dive.
Fog rolled in, some H&L guys got a couple more yellows, even off the boat.

Settled back up on the front side for the night, and made our way home.

Another look at my Calico (the only I shot)

Before

After

Dinner on Sunday night back home...

Great boat, and crew, I highly recommend a trip with these guys, some of the crew...

Good seeing many familiar faces, and meeting new anglers,

chris
Holy Mackerel is offline   Reply With Quote