Thread: Advice?
View Single Post
Old 07-24-2014, 08:36 PM   #24
FlyFishinYakr

Location: Nor Cal...30 min from Bodega/Tomales Bay, 1hr from Clear Lake, 2+ hr to Berryessa & the Delta
Quote:
Originally Posted by janines.fishtales@cox.net View Post
Sooooo much great info. I need to start practicing my knots! Keep the info coming gents. I love it and I am learning lots! I am learning that a lot of the stuff I already do is a lot what you all are suggesting. I like the idea of not using the green braid and I will look for white. I was thinking I would just put a whole 25 yard spool of flouro on top of my braid (so I don't have to keep tying splicing knots?) but most of you are suggesting short top shots.... hmmm. I like that someone suggested not overlooking the good ole mustad hook. Last year I went out on an overnighter on the Penetrator. Capt Clay called the owners and gamakatsu's "gucci" hooks and he used only mustad! I do see the benefit of good hooks though. A two speed reel huh? I was thinking about that but $$$! How much would one of those set me back?

Thanks again,

Janine
If you're lucky you might still be able to find a Shimano TLD 20II 2-speed for about $200 (if you're using Mono, not recommended for braid). I picked one up for just over that a few months back. If you have more $ (MXJ Raptor series if using braid $450+) look for an AVET.

Last edited by FlyFishinYakr; 07-24-2014 at 09:05 PM.
FlyFishinYakr is offline   Reply With Quote