View Single Post
Old 04-26-2018, 10:54 AM   #4
MH150
Junior

Quote:
Originally Posted by tak100 View Post
Did you see this in the Buy, Sell or Trade forum?

(snip)

If you don't have a back problem you can find older Outbacks for as low as 1100 (what I paid last June for mine). I then spent $400 adding a fish finder and other accessories. I go about 260 and it supports me just fine. The older models are much cheaper because they have the old soft seat. If you widen your search area on craigslist (make sure it includes LA and SD) and have some patience deals crop up but they go fast.

Best of luck and welcome to the club.
Thanks for the welcome and the great feedback. I really do like the idea of a pedal rig, but there are a couple things that make me hesitant. Firstly, I want to use the rack I have. Those pedal rigs are pretty heavy, and while I’m sure many can do it lifting 100 pounds or more several feet in the air doesn’t sound like fun. As a comparison, the Ocean Kayak Big Rig cam in closer to 60 pounds. That sounds more manageable. I can certainly appreciate the value of more efficiently getting from point a to b, as well as the control at other times and having hands open.

Budget also plays a part. Not sure. Can get the boss to see the value in me spending a couple thousand to get started. That’s double what I’ve been looking at. I also want to make sure I’m not one of those who jump in and it never gets used. I don’t see that happening but who knows. Maybe the pedal units are better resale?

I’ll look at those options you called out. Maybe something makes sense. The used (but new) Malibu was 700, the new Big Rig is $1079. I was going to grab a x13 for 250, but it’s huge and reviews didn’t sound like it’s a stable unit.
MH150 is offline   Reply With Quote