View Single Post
Old 04-26-2018, 05:12 PM   #11
otterpupster

Send a message via MSN to otterpupster
Quote:
Originally Posted by MH150 View Post
Hi there. I’m Mike. New here, but been fishing my whole life including quite a few years chasing bass in various tournaments. For many reasons, life got in the way and I sold my Basscat and pretty much stopped fishing. (10 + years ago) Been getting back in the water a bit and after a few recreational outings on kayaks I’ve discovered I really enjoy the sport. This will be a much easier path for me right. Or over another boat.

I’ve been looking at both new and used options and have learned some things but would appreciate any thoughts to get me started in the right direction. My plan now is that this will primarily be for freshwater use. Silverwood, Perris, some San Diego lakes, Puddingstone, Big Bear, Maybe our to the river now and then. There is a slight chance I will take it to some local bays/marinas. I will transport with my F150 and Tracrac.

For me, I’m not the smallest. 6’3” or so, pushing 300. Weight pretty evenly distributed. People tell me they are surprised to hear the number. In my 50s, so I’m facing the reality of some limits but I’m not dead. Prefer to find a really solid value and not spend a ton of money to get started. I’m sure everyone thinks that and it’s just like a boat; it never ends. I’ll carry 2 or 3 rods, net, etc. And will add a fish finder/ GPS.

I’ve found a Good deal on a Malibu xfactor with the xseat via private party. He says it’s never been used. 2017 model. I also found a good price on a Pcean Kayak big rig 2. New demo mode. Any thoughts on either would be appreciated.

I’m open to hearing any and all thoughts, and am grateful for any knowledge you can share. The Hobie Pro Anglers are awesome looking machines but I think out of budget right now. The wife acceptance factor has to be considered too.

Thanks in advance!
Malibu Kayaks has a "Blems" sale at their Paramount dist. warehouse in late summer. You'll have to ask around the specific date. Also Sunset Beach Oex has a Demo Days" with Hobie's, Jackson , and Native Watercraft on disply and free to use. Good Luck
otterpupster is offline   Reply With Quote