View Single Post
Old 06-30-2008, 08:32 PM   #11
Grego

Ok here's an option for the front hatch. First I hated that top clip, didn't look clean so I removed it and welded plastic into the holes. Instead I have a 'dummy' cord attached to the inside lip of the cover and secured to the yak. The function of that clip was so you don't lose the hatch on the water.

Second, I added this rubber marine seal stuff from home depot. It comes stuck together but easily splices into a single strip. Sand, acetone, heat and applied. Also added goop to the inside and outside to ensure it doesn't come off. This strip of rubber seal seems like it was custom fit to be put on the hatch seal. I tested with a garden hose and submerged 1/4 of the front hatch underwater while dropping off a dock into the harbor and to my surprise I had a bone dry inside. I wasn't expecting that, and so either this is a great solution or I got lucky with my install. Either way, I'm not complaining. Of course, only a series of knarly surf launches will really be the only true test. I also added this spray-on rubber stuff like bed liner stuff to the hatch so I had that "rubber to rubber" gripping going on. Zed - get your mind out of the gutter ....

Third I added this rubber plug from home depot to keep it plugged. This thing fits like a glove and again to my surprise absolutely no water came in. It's not permanent, just plugged up there and stays put. For some reason it plugs perfect from the bottom but not the top. I think because during the molding it's always different how the scupper holes come out. I added a string and something to keep from losing it down the hole when I push down to unplug it. I might want to let water in or out and then plug it back up by pulling up on the string for whatever reason.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_0581.JPG (51.5 KB, 1274 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0570.JPG (54.2 KB, 1270 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0573.JPG (47.0 KB, 1263 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0557.JPG (44.9 KB, 1255 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0559.JPG (31.1 KB, 1247 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0580.JPG (71.2 KB, 1250 views)
Grego is offline   Reply With Quote