View Single Post
Old 08-20-2018, 09:03 AM   #4
goldenglory18

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheEngineering View Post
Hey, Thanks for the quick reply. I am doing a lot of reading at the moment.

To answer your question

How are you planning on transporting the kayak? Planning to use my 2011 Highlander with kayak rack (side mounting on top of the roof)

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...GMHDPJAQE37NN2

How are you planning on storing the kayak? In the Garage, I don't use my Garage to park my cars.

Where are you planning on fishing with this kayak? Orange County, CA for the most part. Mainly the harbor such as newport or Dana. If someone would let me tag along I eventually would like to venture outside the break water for sheephead, calico, etc...
Awesome. If you are JUST hauling the one yak, don't use those J racks. They are a PITA and really not worth the cost. Haul the boat like this instead:

You are going to want to look for something under 80ish lbs. Car topping is a young mans game and only gets harder after a long days work paddling. It's also a lot harder to do when its breezy out (like almost every day in SoCal outside summer months.) This is also why I hate those J racks for single boat transport.

For storage, garage is always best but buy yourself a bottle of Aerospace protectant anyway. It helps condition and maintain the rotomolded plastic that most higherend yaks are made of. As for when its inside the garage, build a rack, or have the yak supported upside down or sideways on the gunwale(s). These are the strongest part of molded plastic boats.

Staying in the harbor and occasionally venturing outside the surf line, you can easily get away with a slower, more comfortable boat (which tend to also be less expensive.) Look at paddle boats that are in the 11.5' to 13.5' range and around 30" wide. Wilderness Systems, Jackson, Malibu, Native... all of these mfg's have great products that fit your need.

How big of a guy are you, if you dont mind me asking.....
goldenglory18 is offline   Reply With Quote