View Single Post
Old 08-21-2018, 06:09 AM   #16
goldenglory18

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTboosted View Post
If you plan on surf launching (Not just lake la jolla) a wilderness systems kayak is a great choice.

Take it out without gear and have fun in the waves. Roll it on purpose. I had a Tarpon 140.

Coming out of a harbor you can almost get any yak. Just make sure it has a rudder. Look for a good deal on a used one so you can sell with minimal loss when you decide to upgrade.
Great advice here. Wildy boats are very, VERY well build and incredibly stable. Especially when in mild chop/boat traffic. Just be mindful of their adjustable seats (the ones that raise and lower.) That high position, in a pretty buoyant boat, on really choppy water, can lead to a super tippy boat.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tak100 View Post
Definitely second taking a couple of check out voyages to get used to the kayak before you add the extra gear for fishing.

Check out some safety videos on YouTube and practice getting back aboard in deep water. Better to practice and be confident in your skill then to be in need and have no idea of how to get it done.
Amen to that.

The #1 piece of advice I give to newbies (actually, #1 is always wear your PFD (personal flotation device,) is to paddle your new boat, without any extra gear, in a safe spot to go swimming. If there is a lifeguard present, let them know what you are doing and how you will communicate with them if needed. Head out to a safe spot without boat traffic and learn your tipping/turtle/kick points. The intention here is to figure out how far you can push the boat before you get wet. Once you do find those points, learn how to recover once you're in the drink. Learn how to right a turtled vessel and how to board from being kicked off. Figure out how to do these things, without using the aft storage well (because that's where 90% of your gear will be) and practice them in deep water.

Then and only then will you be ready to go out and play in the bays and blue water. I got this advice and have religiously followed it to the T. I strongly suggest it to everyone in return...
goldenglory18 is offline   Reply With Quote