View Single Post
Old 04-21-2020, 09:23 AM   #1
StrikerMC
Instagram:@nomad.waterman

I have a problem... [rockfish report]

... I can't get any other rockfish than reds!

I only recently learned that there are rockfish to be had outside the Newport area, so I've hit it up about 5 times in the past week and a half and have limited each time on, you guessed it, reds.

Now I know that we all like reds, but for the sake of variety... how do I catch the other varieties? Coppers, barbers, starries, trees, browns, etc. I have caught them all on squid or live sardines on sport boats in the past. I see reports on here of people catching some toad coppers, so I'd love to hear about different tactics, if there are any.

I don't want people to start thinking I'm posting the same fish over and over (like some do). Anyways, here's a brief report of my last few trips:

Depth- 180-213'
Direction- either south or west. One direction has less fish but bigger grade, and the other direction has more fish but smaller grade. You can figure that part out pretty easily
Bait- single 3" squid strips on a 4/0 octopus hook, heads didn't work as well and neither did a bunch of strips on a hook. Also tried slabs of mackerel with great success.
Weight- 12-16oz for fast drops and vertical lines.

If you want to learn more or go hit up the grounds, one of the better ways to contact me is over Instagram. Give me a follow @nomad.fish

Last edited by StrikerMC; 04-21-2020 at 09:52 AM.
StrikerMC is offline   Reply With Quote