View Single Post
Old 02-24-2018, 01:24 PM   #15
greenscales
greenscales

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikey Likes It View Post
I’ve caught 2 yellowtail on the yo-yo iron off the yak in La Jolla. First one was in 180’ of water that hit a scrambled egg colored Salas 6x jr halfway up on the retrieve. Second one was in 110’ of water that hit a blue white mackerel pattern Salas 6x halfway up on the retrieve. So much fun when you’re cranking and then all the sudden it stops and starts ripping line out.

Got the second one on video:

https://youtu.be/bCcO48o1RJU

Yes - YoYo works. However w/6X Jrs aren’t as fast of a sink. I like to cast, sink and retrieve them - get bit best after a 60-30 degree retrieve and first few seconds after putting it in free spool if I find where the fish are in the water column. Great for WSB & Calicos, but works too good if Bones and Barries are in the area. If in deep structure w/a lot of places to get snagged - faster sinkers w/siwash to get easier and go vertical - Tady 9s, Snipers, even older butterfly jigs w/top Hook.
I almost never make bait anymore / unless I know the fish are very scattered. Rather look for schools or structure and target them w/artificials. I can can cover more water, maybe piss a Yellowtail off and get a reaction bite on a jig vs. slow trolling a live bait w/hopes they see it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
greenscales is offline   Reply With Quote