View Single Post
Old 10-18-2011, 04:32 PM   #1
carbonbass

reels-a-smokin bonito from a yak

Went to the same area i fished on foot yesterday for some bonito. Today was much better in the kayak :lol: . Went out with my friend steve and we wacked em most of the day. We each ended up with about a dozen putting us somewhere around 25 total.

The best bite was earlier in the day (around 9). Where we found some scattering anchovies and bonito boiling. I got about 5 from that school on 5 consecutive casts with the LC pointer. Switched up to the bonito bubble and feather for several as well, when the school would go down we would troll the feather to find them again. I had a double hookup at one point when i was trolling a feather and the pointer behind me and stopped to talk to steve, the second i stopped both went bendo.

All the fish were the typical small 1-3lb schoolie size but hey on the perch rod its always a good time :] Kept 2 for sashimi cuz Jon always has good things to say about it (you werent kidding jon its delish :shock: )

Was super fun to see them blow up on the surface chasing our feathers, the spook only got 1 boil for some reason, but they wanted the feathers for real and there was times where we had 3-4 bonito chasing it in boiling behind it.

Lots of laughs and good times ensued. Unfortunately my cam battery was dead and i only got 1 pic on the water, but its all good cuz they were mostly clones anyways. Forgot what it felt like to get pinned by a bone great fun :]

Home made bonito splasher rig was doing better than our pre-rigged ones (cut broomstick into pieces add eye'd screws to the pieces. Add fly stringer to one end EZ)

SASHIMI

Ill be back out there this week, hoping they stick around till at least the end of OCT
carbonbass is offline   Reply With Quote