View Single Post
Old 09-29-2017, 08:19 AM   #12
Hobi-Wan Kenobi
Junior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flounder View Post
I started using braid since Spiderwire came out back in the 90's while fishing northern pike. My notes on bait casters and braid, they don't like the lighter braided lines under 40/50 lb, you tend to get small loops super easy on line any lighter and if you didn't keep tension on your line 100% of the time. Then while casting line catches the loop and breaks because with no stretch it snaps the lure off. I've snapped off lots of spinnerbaits over the years trying to cast too far, this will improve with experience and making sure you set your magnetic brake on the reel correctly, not casting into the wind etc. Once I started paying attention to what was causing the issues my experience with braid improved 10x. I now only use bait casters for heavier lures or anything that will allow me to leave tension on the line whenever I retrieve. SO keep tension, tighten the brakes on your spool, and if you continue to have issues move up to the 50/65lb with 12lb diameter (easier to pick out snarls too). Hope this helps.
Unfortunately, I got cocky and thought my thumb feathering the spool was good enough.

"May the Fish Be With You!"
Hobi-Wan Kenobi is offline   Reply With Quote