View Single Post
Old 06-22-2010, 11:00 AM   #9
stairman

Quote:
Originally Posted by -scallywag- View Post
I'm only familiar with the two penn reels and they are really undergunned for targeting trophy pelagics....small drags and low gear raitos (2.5:1 and 4:1) are probably better for catfish, rockfish or maybe halibut in the bay.

modern engineering, machining and materials have made it possible to have much stronger reels in the same size, but lighter package. My favorite budget kayak reels (under 120 new) for LJ are the Sealine 30,40,50/ penn 535, 545,555/ shimano TLD star and the TLD 15 leverdrag...all can be found used for $60-80.

I would also stay away from the older penn 500/501's although alot of guys swear by them....they are just not built to fish 40lb mono or the braided lines we use and they are very close to the price of the other reels I mentioned. They make good sabiki reels tho!
Stay away from jigmasters?That reel has caught ten times as many 40 # yellow tail and 50 # tuna then all the two speeds combined!
They are not for 20# or less and they need to be maintained but I have a couple that are 30 years old and I still use them.I ahve caught yft to 65 pounds on a 501 .....baited right back up and caught five more that day betwwen 35 and 55.....but you go right ahead and shine that 250$ reel and send it to the man at the factory for a forty dollar rebuild every year.
I also own the cool new reels but disrespecting the jigmaster is like calling me a washed up old man(even if i am)....the nerve of some people!
(i would have used the sarcasm font in some places here but i couldn't find it)
stairman is offline   Reply With Quote