Thread: Yaking LJ
View Single Post
Old 09-05-2019, 05:29 PM   #7
FISH11

I did not use the backing plates made by Scotty. I installed the flush bases using stainless steel bolts with washers and nuts on the inside, Have never had any issue with the mounts or bases. Even with large Yellows pulling on the rod or worse when you hook onto kelp while trolling and it feels like the kayak is going to get rolled. Luckily I have always been able to reach the reel and put it into free spool when that happened. The locations I used were because I wanted to have the rods in arms reach and still have space for paddling. The Yellow on the Revo was a catch and release, the one between my legs on the Malibu X Factor was donated to Heroes on the Water for one of the events fish taco lunch. Today I had one on the way back in after fishing for 8 hours and catching 5 Calicos (they were crashing bait on the surface, all were released) trolling macs all day, feeding the seals and ended up loosing it while fighting to get it out of the kelp in 49'. Had the fluorocarbon leader break right at the knot to the hooks, AGAIN. Same thing happened a couple months ago. That is just one of the risks when trying in shallow water with heavy kelp.

Last edited by FISH11; 09-05-2019 at 05:37 PM.
FISH11 is offline   Reply With Quote