View Single Post
Old 09-24-2018, 07:44 PM   #1
Saba Slayer

Last Eastern Sierra report of the Summer

Headed north on 395 with the famous Alabama Hills and the Eastern Sierras outside Lone Pine...

Momma and her new one were the welcoming party as I drove into the Silver Lake campsite...

I only had a reserved campsite for the first night and I was hoping to get lucky and find a walk-up site for the rest of my trip...
As I drove in, the campground host, Solice was out doing her rounds in her golf cart and she said I had my choice of 17 and 19 for the next 14 days if I liked....I took number 19 till Monday....and gave her a big slab of Yellowtail and some smoked Barracuda as a thank you...!

It can be a pretty windy and exposed site but it's right across from the lake and it's so easy to just leave the PA there and lock it up at night on the shore.
For a short solo trip... #19 did just fine.

The Fishing was OK on the first evening after I set up camp.

I gave the fish the option of jumping in the boat or being hooked...
This guy took the first option...

The kayak and seat were covered in frost the first few mornings...and the bite was off in the mornings...it seemed to pick up when the wind came up then really turned on after the sun went behind the hill. The end of the lake near Reverse Creek seemed to have the most biting fish for this trip...
The Damn Full Moon didn't help as usual...

The cold weather did it's job on the Aspen trees and they've started to change color...What a beautiful site with those yellows and oranges and all that color...

With all that cold weather the fire pit was a warm place to be each night after dinner...

The Crawdads were plentiful and big as usual...since this was a solo trip I shared the mini boil with my neighbors on both sides of my campsite...they were blown away by the quality and size of these big Crayfish...didn't even know they were in the lake.
I only set 5 traps and I still brought about 75 Crawdads home...

I didn't dare get too close to this hive for a photo...

The fishing really turned on the last day and I finally caught a nicer sized Rainbow.

It was about 3-1/2 pounds on the SLR scale.

Sadly headed home...I'll be back for at least a couple of trips to Silver Lake next Summer...

Last edited by Saba Slayer; 09-24-2018 at 07:58 PM.
Saba Slayer is offline   Reply With Quote