View Single Post
Old 06-06-2018, 06:39 AM   #16
skrilla

Quote:
Originally Posted by goldenglory18 View Post
Funny you posted this....

So I bought a 300CC for the clicker specifically to toss bait in MDR, and just found out they make the 400 in a CC as well. They are significantly cheaper than their HD counterparts as well.

Looking through the specs online, it seems the only difference is the main gear shaft in the HD is Stainless, and presumably something less hardy in the CC. Worth saving $50? Meh, maybe in the 300 series. But looking at bigger fish in the 400, its probably worth going to the HD if no clicker is needed (it wouldn't be for my use in this rig...)
The SS material upgrade in the HD was done for better saltwater life/corrosion resistance. For the non HD Lexa as long as you keep the guts greased and keep a religious maintenance schedule it will last a long time. The drag performance and torque is the same. I service a few non HD Lexas that are used for throwing wahoo bombs and the guts look fine... no chipped teeth, no sleeve rounding. The CC is a good option if you need a clicker.

The Tranx, it's a step up in price but it is the better reel. Could use a clicker version imho.