View Single Post
Old 03-26-2018, 09:57 AM   #16
Fiskadoro

Quote:
Originally Posted by MITCHELL View Post
Duke never got seasick,but he took alot of craps as soon as I put him on the bow, not in the parking lot, not on the dock on the bow.I had a big thick sponge rubber pad for him to lay on.one time we were all hooked up on yellowtail and duke jumped into the school of fish and started swimming around we yelled at him to get to the stern and we pulled him over the transom. The worst weather I was ever in was coming home from San Clemente sland in a 24ft skipjack with a flying bridge we were diving and spent the night two boats there. It would have been better to run to Catalina island. But we didn't we headed back to San Diego we never took off our wet suits.just sat down in bottom of boat all day long only the skipper was on the flying bridge. Going down swell felt like we might flip over.Half the time you could not see the other boat. There were beakers going into mission bay.Not sure how big the sea was but it was scary I still thing about it alot after over 40years ago it was around 1972
I really miss my dog.

Yeah those skippy flys are really top heavy. Bulletproof boat but the older ones do move around a lot. Some of the old Blackman flybridges are even worse. They lean over so far you feel like you are going to fall out of them.

That night with my dog was a grind due to cold and fatigue but I have seen worse. I've been in huge seas off SBI, where the waves looked like mountains but at least where was some space between them. I once got caught in a wind event off Point Magu that was so bad the owner wanted me to drive his boat up on the beach. It took hours but I got his boat back powering up the waves that dropping off at the crests and then angling down the back sides. We were low on fuel so we slugged it out, and I learned a lot, but in hind site I should of run down to Paradise Cove, anchored up, then called for a tow when the wind died.

The worst for me personally was in Cat Channel crossing back at night. I was about half way across and got slammed by one of those sudden Cabrillo/Cat Channel wind events. I really thought I might not make it in. Pitch black, howling wind, confused and huge breaking waves that I could barely make out. I just kept crawling forward because I did not want to loose my boat. At the break wall I saw a flare and found some hoopers that were washing into the rocks. By then I was comfortable enough I went over and threw them a rope and towed them inside. At the dock they saw all my Marlin gear and asked me where I had been, when I told them Catalina they initially didn't believe me. It was like just crazy, like you would never intentionally cross and those conditions but I made it anyway. The thing about rough weather is it's initially scary but then you get used to it. I mean you are there, you can't just wish your way out, so you have to adapt. After a while I get kind of an adrenaline high, you have to learn how to work the boat through the seas. It's like a pattern you have to work out. I'm just glad I don't get seasick in those kinds of conditions.

Last edited by Fiskadoro; 03-26-2018 at 11:34 AM.
Fiskadoro is offline   Reply With Quote