View Single Post
Old 12-16-2007, 08:18 AM   #26
aguachico

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Sammons LJKF View Post
The tree hugging PETA types have deep pockets and I think they would be more than happy to have you hang up your fishing licenses. I think they would be celebrating in the streets if this was our form of protest.
There must be a better way to fight it than that.
Jim;

I'm having trouble finding out how much and by whom the MPA's were privately funded. The fish lovers have deep pockets - yes, but we have deeper. Fisherman spend thousands if not more per year to fish. The problem is that we are segregated between inshore/offshore, yak/boat and fresh/salt.

We need to consolidate our buying power and put it use. The state of Californnia is in financial trouble. We need to make this happen for fy'09.

These are questions I could used answered to contine this project:

1. How are the sportfishing licensing fees distributed?
2. What private organization funded the reopening of the MPA's?
3. How much was used from private funding and public to reopn the MPA's?
4. How much additional monies are needed by the DFG to implement the MPA's.
5. Over the past 10 years, what is the break down on levied fines to fisherman? Commercial, recreational - poaching, licensing.

The 4th point is a big one. If we can prove that the DFG has acted in their own best interest by embracing the MPA's - then they will have lost any argument that they are here for the fishermen. I feel the DFG has embraced the MPA's to increase their patrolling duties. The increase in duties allows them to ask for more funding(job security).

We need to take it to these fuckers and hit them hard. As I start to gather more information I can then start small polling projects to see if this is actually feasible. I can't do this alone and will need help from all that are interested.

We are 1 million strong and need to be heard.

Fuck the DFG. Let's remove their power by removing their money

Yes Jim. the PETA would love the for us to not buy licenses. But the PETA types are not making the laws. I believe the State would not want us to stop buying licenses and would have to recognize our buying power. So even if you have to buy a license, like yourself and your customers - creating and funding the PAC would get this train moving.

Creating and funding a PAC is not enough. We just become another special interest group. By removing funding from the state, then we are recognized and powerful.

We have to remember someone has to pay for these MPA's to be implemented. What keeps the state from increasing you licenses fees to $200-$300 per year over the next couple of years?
aguachico is offline   Reply With Quote