View Single Post
Old 07-05-2017, 12:50 PM   #17
chris138
donkey roper

Quote:
Originally Posted by supaboy1981 View Post
Take a 2nd rod and troll the bottom for rockfish. Atleast you'll pull something

Sent from my LG-H910 using Tapatalk
Sorry but I disagree with this. If you want to catch a yellowtail, fish for yellowtail. Any other distraction will not help at all. You are doing the right thing. Have 100% confidence that you will get a bite if you keep doing what you are doing. If possible, try to stay out there till noon.

I also disagree with just sitting and drinking beer. You should be constantly moving and looking. You have HDS, use it to its fullest potential. Don't stop and rest or eat until you are over a huge wad of bait. If you are looking at an empty sonar screen, you are in the wrong spot... move along. When the YT swim through, there are lots of signs. If you're not seeing any signs, keep looking. Sure... people will get lucky "blind" hookups in dead areas. This is NOT what the locals do. You should be hunting, not waiting.

How long does it usually take you to make bait? Do you put a flyline out right after you get the first mack, or do you wait until you're "done" making bait? Already tanked up on bait... Good, you should still look for more. YT will be biting where the bait is.

Don't read too much into "reports"... conditions change by the hour. A report will give you a good starting point, and hopefully some motivation. After that it's eyes up, head on a swivel, and ears peeled. You will get one, and it will feel SO much more satisfying than the guys who hire a guide and get a trophy fish on the first or second trip to LJ. The "one season pros" will keep posting their fish... which might make you feel like you're doing something wrong. Trust me, it's not that easy. You've already put in the work, now's not the time to give up!
chris138 is offline   Reply With Quote