View Single Post
Old 03-31-2014, 09:42 AM   #20
Drake

Every week, hundreds of overweight soccer moms from the middle of the country, who have never sat in a kayak; launch from LJ shores in the surf. Kids, senior citizens, 80lb cheerleaders and people who have never seen water all give it a go. If I had to put out a safe guess, I would estimate 90% of the people who kayak LJ everday have never been inside a kayak.

Point being, I honestly believe there is too much thought and build up being put into it. Sure, there needs to be some level of assumed risk, but it's not like you're paddling into a war zone. If it was as dangerous as it's being made out to be, there wouldn't be a thriving business of rental kayaks scattered across 100yds of the beach at LJ. The exact reason they are at LJ, is because it is easy, by comparison. You're going to flip, no doubt about it. I'm sure everyone has, some more than others. Just go out there and give it a go. Wear a PFD and have fun. If you're a surfer and body surfer like you say, you have a lot more experience in the surf zone than most. You'll be just fine. My .02