View Single Post
Old 01-05-2012, 11:08 AM   #54
Sherm

Quote:
Originally Posted by PAL View Post
I hope it feels good to be ignorant. Almost no difference? The better part of LJ is open. The enviros wanted the entire thing. They were desperate to get it. We turned them away. That was a huge difference, and it didn't happen by itself. Or maybe you're from Laguna. Then you're right. The blue bloods (or is that blue hairs?) won. Or Dume up in Malibu, movie star land? There weren't enough fishermen to defend our turf. Maybe you stayed home?

Other zones that went the fisherman's way:

Rocky Pt at PV
Catalina west end
Carp Reef
Pyramid Cove

I could keep going. It would have been much worse if people hadn't stood up. Too bad more didn't show, enough to shut down the hearings. I didn't miss one. When we had the numbers, events went our way. When our people faded, nightmare.

Every time one of us paddles out to north LJ kelp, dives there with a spear, or drops a line from a boat this community should feel proud for showing up and speaking too loudly to be ignored. It would be closed now without the kayak fishing crowd.
I saw you at a lot of those meetings Paul....thanks for all your help. You are right...if we weren't there in the numbers we were we would have lost a lot more. The other side was bussing school children in for goodness sake. If we hadn't been there much more would have been closed. don't get me wrong......We lost some great spots but the damage would have been far greater.

One thing i did recognize was that the system was flawed and if you were going to get anything done you were going to have to be on the inside.

That is why I am running for city council in San Diego. It's time to quit just going to meetings and donating money. It"s time to stand up (get of the yak temporarily) and make a difference.
Sherm is offline   Reply With Quote