View Single Post
Old 11-11-2012, 09:54 AM   #1
taggermike

baja report nov 3-9

Made it to Coyote Estero, south of Pta. Abreojos, last week for great yak fishing. Left SD sat afternoon, slept a while near Catavina, and made to Coyote with plenty o fishing time sunday. Easy drive down with no road, authority, live stock, or trucker issues. Weather was perfect the whole time. We camped right at the estuary with the yaks on the beach right in front. We fished near the mangoves with crocs and plastics for the usual suspects; bass, grouper, corvina, damn puffer fish, and a few trigger fish. The numbers of fish were down but the size was up. There were huge schools of sardinas in the estero that might have influenced the fishing. Loads of small sierra were all over the dines and biting off crocs. My favorite fishing there is throwing big jerkbaits right in to the mangove roots for grouper. Its tough to get them out but the strikes are explosive. The real surprise was I hooked a huge snook on the jerk the first day. It staighted out the freshwater bass hook i was using. Grrrr. Been going there for 25 years and never seen a snook. I vowed revenge and fished hard after dark for the rest of the trip and succeded in landing 2 snook. Beautiful and crazy hard fighting fish. The ones i caught were smaller the one i lost but still nice fish. Great trip with some old friends to my favorite place in the world. mike
Attached Images

taggermike is offline   Reply With Quote