View Single Post
Old 11-13-2012, 08:47 AM   #18
taggermike

Some answers. Not much has changed since I started going there years ago on surf trips. Campo Rene's has the same little cabins and palapas for rent. 15-20 bucks a night. They do have nice resaurant there now though. The oyster shack and compound is a bit bigger but no other activities or developements have been allowed. All nets were banned a few years ago and the co-op enforces it. The rumor that the place is fished out are just that, rumors.

The van is my buddy Steve's sports mobile diesal 4x4. The trailer is by sports mobile too. Way Baja ready.

The locals are still amazingly nice.

The biggest change about getting there is the road is paved all the way from the highway to town. That used to be 65miles of nasty washboard.

It depends on how hard you want to drive but its 10-12 hours away.The highway is better and fuel availability is no longer an issue. I made 4 trips last year and The military check points are professional and brief.

We wanted to get the yaks in the ocean but the locals said most of the fish were north. Plus the estuery fishing was hard to leave. And Andy, the snook we saw were maybe 3-4 times bigger than the ones I caught. The one I lost was pulling drag on buttoned down drag with thumb down on 40lb and pulling a 16 foot adventure side ways. NEVER felt power like that. Mike
taggermike is offline   Reply With Quote