View Single Post
Old 06-06-2014, 07:13 PM   #5
FISH11

i'm glad for you, that you got your Go Pro. I know the felling I wanted one for a long time and finally got one 5 weeks ago. It take a little learning. First I found it's good to mount it close enough to reach the control from your seat. The biggest reason is if you leave it on all the time it runs down your battery. The most important thing I learned is you can turn it off from the remote but that doesn't turn off the Wi Fi. In order to use the remote you need the Wi Fi on the unit, that is basically a network and so that take a lot of battery power. If you are able to reach the camera and turn the WI Fi on and off then your battery will last all day. I have 3 batteries but I don't like having to open the case in order to change the battery while out in the ocean. For a mount I first got a tripod mount the unit did not come with. That way I can put it on any tripod threaded unit. Next I purchased a bicycle handle bar mount that could be used on any camera I made 2 different lenght poles using 3/4" PVC with a 90 degree fitting at the end and about 6" of PVC at the top going horizontal so thats where I put the bicycle handle bar adaptor so that it sits off center instead of in the middle of the Kayak. 1 mount is about 36" tall the other is about 12". Either pole pushes into a 3/4" end cap that is secured to a piece of cutting board and mounted on a Scotty Fish finder mount about 4" from the botton on the pole I driled a slot about 1" long for attaching a short bungee for safety. I can put the mount on any of the Scotty mount on the Kayak and the Scotty fish finder mount rotates so I can change where the camera point. The short mount works great up frt. for face shots and the longer one is for from behind and over the shoulder shots. The slot in the PVC near bottom is when I clip a short bungee I made using the clip that OEX sell for leashes, and bungee straps. I works great and Even held up last Monday when I rolled the X13 I took out to La Jolla. Even when the kayak was upside down in the water no problem. Too bad I didn't have it on to get some of that underwater video. HA HA...