View Single Post
Old 09-27-2016, 02:31 AM   #1
rossman
Marginally Irrelevant

Asuncion Visitor

I am enjoying a nice visit by Roger Leonard (Druko on Big Waters Edge) who stopped by for a few days on his way to Abreojos. We have had stellar fishing for some bruiser yellowtail and some of the best calico fishing that either of us have ever seen. I think because I concentrate on yellowtail fishing I fail to give the area the proper acclaim for the outstanding calico bass fishing. Druko spent the better part of 2 days hunting the checkers and was landing fish after fish in the 5 pound range with several of the 8 to 10 pound models. I believe he has permanently altered the fingerprints on both of his thumbs. We have gone a combined 5 for 16 on these tanker YTs. I decided I would harvest one today and kept a nice 22 pounder. Unfortunately I landed another that had some pretty torn up gills by the end of the fight so I had to keep that one too. That one went a about 31 pounds.

Now for an unbelievable story in which I avoided a major major hassle thanks to the local fishermen. I headed back to the launch a bit early, hoping I could catch some of the returning local fishermen in hopes of giving away one of my yellowtail. I landed and at about the same time one of the locals came in rowing his dingy from the mooring spots a bit off the beach. I helped him get his dingy up on the sand and he reaches into his pocket and hands me my car keys. Needless to say my jaw dropped. Apparently they had flopped out of my pocket when I launched in the morning and this guy just happened to spot them in 3 feet of water and picked them up. No one at the launch in the morning had lost them so they came to consensus that they belonged to that crazy gringo kayaker. I obviously found a home for my excess yellowtail. I tried to give him both but he would only take one.

Name:  SAM_0480.jpg
Views: 717
Size:  55.9 KB
"When beholding the tranquil beauty and brilliancy of the ocean’s skin, one forgets the tiger heart that pants beneath it; and would not willingly remember that this velvet paw but conceals a remorseless fang. "
— Herman Melville

Y'all come see me now, hear!
rossman is offline   Reply With Quote