Thread: Reel advice
View Single Post
Old 03-29-2021, 12:44 PM   #4
SoCalEDC

The two reels you listed will be fine. If you plan to jig with it id probably lean star drag over lever for a few reasons: 1. castability although this is minimally different in modern reels. 2. the star drag "on/off" of the clutch IMO is much more convenient when working a yoyo or a jig than engaging a lever is (again IMO).

As far as drag rating goes, you don't need tons of drag even on a boat. Just set your drag to 25-30% of your (weakest) line rating (i.e. if you are fishing 30# leader you would fish 7-10# drag), pair it with a comparable rod (usually a good pairing point is to pick the line class right in the middle of the rod line rating (i.e. for 30# a 15-40 mono or 20-50 mono should be fine, i know daiwa and shimano are starting to rate rods in mono and braid, imo just ignore the braid rating its usually 2x what the mono rating is), feel it out and let the equipment do its work. Fishing your gear at max drag is just going to cause it to fail (especially on a lever drag where you end up sideloading bearings).

Lastly as far as speed of the reel goes, not all jigs are meant to be burned back, many of the popular irons like tady and salas were designed when the penn jigmaster was the popular reel, and that has about 30"/crank. The inches per crank is important but keep in mind that that number is calulated using a full spool, switching to braid from mono on those big reels is going to help keep that number high because your OD on the spool will be larger with the same length of line out. IPC is simply a function of Spool circumference*gear Ratio, therefore it fluctuates as line comes off and goes on the spool and the circumference changes.

Good luck out there man
2020 Hobie Outback SOLD
2021 Stealth Fisha 500
#StealthTribe
SoCalEDC is offline   Reply With Quote