View Single Post
Old 06-25-2008, 09:01 AM   #22
Hobie-Pedaller
Fish On !!!

Hobie's are great for most all aspects of yak fishing.

surf launching and landing is the one area that they are a bit challenging.

especially since the Hobie's have limited in-hull storage, due to the mirage drive in the floorboard of cockpit.

for me, the launching is not nearly as risky as the landing. for launching, just keep yak pointed "into" the surf, and plow through the waves until you get out. for landing, there are many more variables, and many more approaches to try and use. i have used my pedals to propel myself IN quickly, thru the surf zone. but then you have your sails dragging bottom, when you hit the beach. i have also landed with only paddles, but this is very slow, because the outback "paddles" like a BIG tank. some people (in all brands of yaks) paddle in "backwards" very slow, allowing the incoming waves to pass them by, as they are slowly approaching the beach.

on launching, if you get to thigh deep water, you can then put your pedals in, then jump in and pedal hard to get out thru the surf zone fairly quickly. or w/o pedals, just paddle hard, and you get out, although slower, and take more waves over the bow. no problem in warmer months, but sucks to get that soaked when launching in colder months.

on landing, i used to leave mirage drive in, pedal & paddle close to beach, and then strap one pedal forward to pull sails against bottom of yak. but if you ride the yak all the way to the beach, which the waves frequently automatically do for you when landing, then you drag the sails against the bottom. even on only sandy bottom, this eventually rips the rubber of the sails (mainly front one), and it will have to be replaced. you also run the risk of bending the mast rods.

thus, now i pull the mirage drive out and bungee down on the bow of yak b4 landing.

that leaves you to only PADDLE the Hobie into the beach. these things are tanks, and paddle fairly slow. you usually will have waves catch you from behind, that try to turn your yak sideways, and then the next wave wants to flip you over.

i almost always end up riding this wave into the beach "sideways" on the yak, having to lean hard into the wave, to prevent rolling over or flipping.

i recommend to anyone, to go "practice" in the surf zone, without your fishing gear aboard. especially the landing part. learn what methods/techniques work for you and your yak.

then you will be better when it's for real, and you have all your gear aboard on an actual fishing trip.

Kayak Fishing is a DRUG.... and I'm addicted !!
Hobie-Pedaller is offline   Reply With Quote