View Single Post
Old 05-18-2012, 12:25 PM   #1
fsuindustries

O'Side Harbor Report

I went out this morning on a Mission to catch my first Halibut! I Put my Kayak in the water at about 7:45 AM and paddled directly out to the Channel going into the Camp Pendleton Harbor. I ran into a gentlemen named Patrick who was kind enough to give me some pointers and we ended up fishing for a few hours together...

Ok, for the good stuff, Started out setting my drift on the outside of the channel working my way along the rock with a 4in. Swim bait with UniButter and snagged a little lizard fish to start, then a few minutes later I hooked into a small Spotty.. The UniButter has me convinced! After drifting with Swim Baits I decided to switch it up and go with a Trap Rig and Frozen Sardines w/ a little UniButter. On my third drift I got hit hard and hooked into about a 4-5 LB. Spotty. I was stoked with just that, then along my 5th or 6th drift my pole was bent and I reeled up my first Halibut and to my surprise it was a decent size..

Patrick was kind enough to lend me his paddle so I could measure it and as I was getting ready to measure it jumped of my hook. Totally a rookie mistake. At Least Patrick was there and I have a witness. She was a Beauty!

All in all it was a great morning on the water.
fsuindustries is offline   Reply With Quote