Thread: Laptop Repair
View Single Post
Old 11-28-2011, 04:30 PM   #17
Fiskadoro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darkstar View Post
The widow PC is a sweet laptop, expensive though in todays market. I bet if you imaged the HD onto a SSD and swapped it out it would really scream (if you havent yet)
I haven't gone the SSD route yet, still pricey for me, but I hear you

I like my widow though it's still a six year old machine about now. Back when I got it it was still something pretty special but there are a lot more comparable machines out there now. The thing that amazes me about it is the build quality, they put a ton of copper into the heatsinks, and it runs super cool. When I saw it on ebay I was like Holy Shit!! Ended up being the only bidder as I guess no-one new what it was.

Buying whole systems used off ebay has pros and cons no doubt. You definitely want to replace the hard drive for various reasons, on laptops the battery is probably going to be suspect. Those components and the keyboard are the most likely to be abused.

My pet peeve is laptops with damaged power connectors. I've seen laptops where someone literally cracked the motherboard or broke the solder connections by yanking on the cord. Nine times out of ten when someone tells me their laptop shuts down intermittently I find it's a damaged power connector, combined with a old battery that for some reason won't take a charge.

Jim
Fiskadoro is offline   Reply With Quote