Thread: MDR - 6/24/17
View Single Post
Old 06-26-2017, 02:28 PM   #15
Mr. NiceGuy
Manic for Life

Quote:
Originally Posted by goldenglory18 View Post

The more time on the water I get, the more I realize that you dont need to fish heavy gear in the salt. The big halibut I got was caught on a dropshot rig, with a light hook and 8lbs line. That fish was easily double the weight limit of that rig. Obviously if you're targeting big/open water fish you don't want to go ultra light, but I genuinely think that a lot of salt guys are over rigged for the water they are fishing. Patience, good terminal connection, and a properly set drag saved the day on this fish.
What was the weight or length of your halibut?

Congratulations!

I typically run 65# braid and 40# Blackwater fluorocarbon on a 3-way swivel rig for La Jolla. Typical weight is a 6 or 8 oz torpedo, depending on the waves, wind, current. The mackerel I caught on my way out that day were relatively large. On Sunday, I was experimenting with 25# fluoro and smaller hooks because lots of people advise to go lighter. I hooked something heavy on the bottom (felt like a halibut.) Got it about half way up with a couple of refusal runs in different directions before he/she chomped the line.

That was the end of that.

It was a clear bite through just above the top hook. I'm sure it was not a faulty knot. The top hook was a snell anyway and the bite was just above that. It was fresh 25# leader & my drag was set easy so it didn't break from pull. He was coming up heavy and graceful, then he shook his head a little and was gone. I didn't see any stealthy sea lions in the area at the time, but it could have been that too.

So now I feel conflicted with the trade-off between 25# and 40# leader in the ocean.

In San Diego Bay, I have been using 25# leader with a Carolina rig for shallower depths without problems. Weight might typically be a 2oz egg and my bait might typically be anchovies from the bait barge. In the bay, it seems my La Jolla weight gear gets hit less, but there are lots of other variables so I'm not entirely sure what the reasons might be.

Any advice from the pros would be appreciated.

Last edited by Mr. NiceGuy; 06-26-2017 at 03:04 PM.
Mr. NiceGuy is offline   Reply With Quote