View Single Post
Old 05-15-2017, 08:08 AM   #729
jruiz
Large Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by NICKWORN View Post
So I got this idea from a local kayaker here in SD.. Dylan Pierce. It's a conduit and a few pvc fittings. Using my Hook 5 Transducer in the duct seal application seemed to be hampering my readings. So I gave this a try.

Took the conduit and some pvc fittings to make this water tight floating transducer mount. My transducer fit snug on the inside and now sets in water without the interference of anything except the actually hull itself. Going to be trialing it this weekend but when testing in garage I was actually able to here the transducers ping as I couldn't before when placed in a pancake of duct seal
I also placed the transducer right under my center hatch for easy access if somehow the water would need to be refilled.

I can't seem to think why this wouldn't be the best option beside having a newer hobie with the prefab transducer mount.

All in all $15, marine goop and conduit being the bulk of the price.

P.S. I used marine goop on the bottom edge to seal and then the left over duct seal I pulled from old application to reinforce the conduit to the yak for those bumpy road trips and swells.

Thoughts?
So before you had hull, duct seal, then transducer. Now you have hull, duct seal, conduit, some water, then transducer. I'm having a hard time convincing myself that it's better. I think the next best thing to a transducer ready setup is a transducer mounted to the hull with a container around the transducer that you fill with water. What material is that conduit? Looks like painted/epoxied steel.
jruiz is offline   Reply With Quote