View Single Post
Old 10-04-2014, 07:47 PM   #8
crazywakeboarder

Quote:
Originally Posted by JDW View Post
What kind of trailer do you have for your Tandem IA? Can you launch from La Jolla Shores solo? I've been thinking about getting one. Thanks in advance!
There are two types of Island Kayaks from Hobie and your response was not very clear so just to make sure: The Adventure Island or AI is a solo island and there is the TI or Tandem Island which I have. I purchased the trailex trailer for the tandem island which they also sell a smaller version for the adventure island :
https://www.austinkayak.com/products...em-Island.html

I launch it solo from La Jolla but it is definitely a workout. Unloading is easy as I just slide it off the trailer. But lifting it back onto and sliding it back up the trailer is the challenge. I used to car top it, but after doing that twice and wanting to save my back I purchased the trailer.

On the water though I can easily propel it alone and it has more room then one needs for fishing. It also sails great but I leave that at home when fishing. I would suggest purchasing a used TI and trailer combo from someone and save yourself some money. I purchased my TI used and it was practically new but I had to fork out and buy a brand new trailer. There are other cheaper options for trailers but I went with the Trailex designed for the TI since its aluminum (light and wont rust). I can roll the trailer around with the TI loaded on it by hand by holding up the tongue.

Im currently working on a mount to rig a trolling motor, batteries, and solar panel to the kayak. I plan to do a sail to Catalina next summer and I want to carry a motor with me in case the winds die down

crazywakeboarder is offline   Reply With Quote