View Single Post
Old 12-28-2012, 01:46 PM   #1
Wayne_R

Nothing exciting for newbie, which may be a good thing?

Got to DP at 7am for my maiden voyage. Got yak unloaded from truck and on cart = no issues. Got to sand and in h20 = no issues. Got out on water past the "island" in the harbor = no issues. Great! Time for breakfast!

Started trolling a medium depth lure and hooked up and almost caught a bird . Actually, after further review, think I had a mack and the bird tried to get it, but became released/escaped. Still reeling something heavy and bird was coming towards me. I thought, oh f***, it's stuck on the bird, but it eventually let my lure go, flew away, and I got my lure back.

Fished a lil at the harbor entry and then did a lap around to check out the enviro. Back around "island" again at far side of entry and got a 2' mack? maybe...

Released and on its way, tried a couple different lures for nada. Ended up w/ one more mack that a bird tried to eat....again, but I was able to get to yak, unbuttoned and on it's way.

Tried several techniques w/ lures and even went out of the harbor for a bit, but since I had such light/sh***Y tackle, didn't expect much.

4 hours later, got back to launch and appreciated the great 4 hour sesh. Don't get much time since I have 2 year old, wife, and work odd hours. Lots o peeps on the beach enjoying a surprisingly nice Dec. day.

Well now that I feel a lil more comfortable, I think I would try to actually get out there, even though haven't practiced the whole rollover/dip/re-entry in yak yet. Maybe when it is a lil warmer. Also need to get out there with a guide to cut down learning curve.

All in all a great 1st day on the water. Some exercise/fish and only had one beer (brought 4) in case I had company. Next time
Wayne_R is offline   Reply With Quote