View Single Post
Old 05-17-2017, 07:12 PM   #4
King Saba

Quote:
Originally Posted by cris View Post
I can't speak to the Revo 16 but in my Oasis (15' tandem) I cruise at 3-3.5kt on flattish seas with the 180 standard fins on my own and can hit 5kt pedaling hard. Length makes a big difference.
That's what I've seen too. Got smoked by this guy in his adventure one time at Dana. Thanks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by alanw View Post
Looking up hull speed on Google for a basic calculation - square root of the boats waterline times 1.34 equals hull speed. So, a 12' boat has a hull speed of 4.64 knots (5.34 mph), and a 16' boat has a hull speed of 5.36 knots (6.17 mph). That's less than 3/4 of a knot difference.

That makes sense since I remember expecting to haul ass in my 16' boat but really only gained about 1/2 mph in easy cruising speed over my 12' boat. Sure I could get the 16' going faster than the 12', but the amount of work required made it unsustainable for long distance for me anyway. I seem to cruise at around 3 mph no matter what boat I'm in.
Good to know. I've been in wider kayaks before my Revo and, the width certainly plays a big role in speed IMO. 3/4kts may not seem like much but factor that in a 6 hour trip, and it can mean the difference between making back to the launch a hour earlier than planned. But yeah, I've read online too that top speed for a 12' yak vs. a 16' doesn't equate to too much gain even with intense effort. Still, a 2-3kt top speed gain is enough to convince me since my trips are usually on a time constraint.