View Single Post
Old 11-27-2018, 09:40 AM   #1
Saba Slayer

Quick Hobie Outback review

If the Hobie Pro Angler is a Cadillac…then the new Hobie Outback is a sportscar…
I've rigged my new Outback and had her out on a test run Friday and then on a fishing trip Sunday.
She peddles and paddles pretty good and turns on a dime…it seems like a fairly decent surf launch kayak and with that traditional bow, it should cut through most small waves. I had the Reliable Kill Bag up front with about 25lbs of Bonito and 15lbs of ice and Tecates in it on Sunday as I came back into the harbor….no leaks and I tried to aim at a few boat wakes to test her front hatch. It's a wetter ride than my big PA's and the Vantage seat isn't quite as comfortable as the "Big Dog" but it is a lighter and more nimble hull. It's pretty darn stable…I stood up a few times to test it out and the new foot pads on either side of the rectangular hatch are pretty comfortable.
There are a lot of storage areas on this kayak and I'll need a few more trips to figure out where I like putting all my gear.
I went with the Lowrance GPS/Sonar and a simple 80 transducer with the sail-mast battery holder in the front hatch and a Bioenno battery. I mounted the 7" touchscreen up front in the sail-mast hole with Ram adapters and short arm. I like that big screen up front out of
harms-way when landing fish.
The Hobie small bait tank worked well for bleeding out those bonito on Sunday….and it gives me another 5 rod holders for the net and all.
The pole holder extensions worked well for me as the molded-in pole holders are a little shallow for the salt water rods and trolling…I think I'll use one in each of the 4 molded-in holders next time. I may try a Scotty holder on the built-in track, but since the cockpit is so tight…I was worried it may get in the way of the Mirage Drive action. Next report…LOL
I used the Bixpy Jet Drive on my first trip with two batteries that I placed under the seat…it was a very tight fit with the seat at its highest position, but once I removed the additional accessory feet on the seat, the batteries fit nice and snugly. With the new hull design this new Outback is really stable and traveled along at a little over 4mph with the Bixpy on it's highest speed…she'll go faster if you really get on the Mirage Drive peddles.
Having two steering handles is so convenient and the handle design which is similar to the new Compass is pretty comfortable to the hand….this boat also tracks better than the Pro Angler and seems to hold a pretty straight line without wind or swell.
When stripped down, the hull seems light enough and pretty manageable for this lazy old guy and I could probably get it on a car top rack with very little difficulty…but being the lazy old fart that I am…I prefer my trailers for my boats…it's so easy and quick when fully rigged to get them in the water.
Here's a few photos and a quick video…I'll get some OTW footage as soon as I can get my video buddy on the water…
I'm a Hobie Regional Fishing Team Rep so if you see me at the dock in Redondo ask for a test ride… you'll really like the stability and look of this new boat…!

Saba Slayer is offline   Reply With Quote