View Single Post
Old 05-19-2012, 10:34 AM   #1
Mr. Adventure
Damn Hippy

Jig stick reel placement

So before I knew any better I jumped on buying a used surface iron rod. A calstar 690j, it was custom wrapped in a iron man theme and I was sold. Unfortunately when I went out with Kevin and checked out his setups and he checked out mine, the reel seat is set way too high up. It's supposed to be from the elbow at the butt to where your wrist is right?

Unfortunately that's where my hand is (sorry for the lousy photo it was hard to take myself) and you can see several inches ahead is the seat.

So I know the best route is to just buy a new jigs tick deckhand style. Unfortunately I'm blowing the budget on a bait tank, and I kind of like the rod.

Do I have any options besides dealing with it.

Only thing I can think of is wrapping the split section with cork (or having someone do it, is it like wrapping a bike bar?) and slapping a cork puppy On there. My hand rests right there before the grip starts and maybe I could get away with that?

I have no clue if I could cut a few inches out of that mid section and shorten it.

I would rather ask silly questions here than look like an idiot In the tackle shop

Also last option, anyone have a good working older stick they aren't using they could part with for a friendly price.

Thanks pals!
Mr. Adventure is offline   Reply With Quote