View Single Post
Old 12-26-2012, 12:35 PM   #1
Erickblim
Junior

Merry Christmas!

This is my first post...though I started kayak fishing almost a year ago and I've been "trolling" on this site since then...I just haven't had anything worthwhile to post. Anyway, I appreciate all the helpful info that's been posted here and all of you who have given me tips on the water. Also props to the seasamurai who taught me a ton.

Wife and kids went to visit her family this week and I had to stay around for work...so rather than sit around by myself on Christmas day I figured I'd give La Jolla another chance. Launched about 1030 am, beautiful day. I was all alone although I met the Tinhman a little later in the day. There was a huge pod of dolphins but not a lot of bait in the water...so I started out just bottom fishing with frozen squid. Caught a little baby octopus that I put on the dropper loop...about an hour later the line started screaming and pulling the kayak sideways. After about 3 minutes, whatever it was popped off and I thought for sure I had blown my opportunity for the day.

A school of baitfish came by and I caught a greenback mackeral and fly-lined it. There were some birds sitting on the water and I trolled around the edge of them...about 10 min later I hooked into this monster, first yellow tail that I have successfully landed. When I got him to the boat he was actually hooked in the side...whatever, I'll take it. Measured 4.5 feet long and weighed 52.4 pounds on the bathroom scale.
Attached Images

Erickblim is offline   Reply With Quote