View Single Post
Old 10-03-2012, 01:08 PM   #9
Fiskadoro

Threads like these make me feel like an old timer.

I've been using the exact same rope float setup I first used over a decade ago. Haven't lost a single hoop since I started using it.

I have 50ft, 75ft, and 100ft rope sets which I change out loop to loop depending where I'm hooping, and I can make small depth adjustments with the longline clip. The advantage of the weighted clip is the excess rope stays 5ft down under the prop zone.

Here's my torpedo float light setup.

It's just an egg float, some thin wall PVC, 2 part urethane foam, reflective tape, and a clear container on the end with a strobe in it.

I used to do flat nets but I now run my own smaller diameter cone nets I designed and built myself for hooping from my hoop kayak a FND.

Those nets meet the regs. The opening is the size of a Danielson, but the are as tall as the taller Promars. With a smaller diameter base they are just as effective as the standard cones but easier to pull.

Here's how I carry them folded down.

As you can see I use minimal electronics for hooping. That's my original old school Garmin 45, and Garmin 120 finder that I've had since I started kayaking. They've lasted me over a decade of hooping and I don't need anything fancier.

The boom makes it easier to pull, so I can stay out longer.

I store my bugs in a box I built behind the seat.

Works for me. Like I said I have not really changed this setup at all since I first started using it.

Jim
Fiskadoro is offline   Reply With Quote