View Single Post
Old 09-02-2017, 02:41 PM   #13
Harry Hill

Quote:
Originally Posted by King Saba View Post
Harry, what set-ups do you use? Spinning, baitcasting? lb line? Mono/fluoro? Size hooks and weights? Lures? I've literally only skunked maybe a handful of times during my trips and they usually involve me deliberately heading out into unfavorable conditions.

For someone who puts so much time on the water a fish or a dozen should've fallen victim to your kayak already.

For reference I always manage to catch one the 3 harbor bass with 6lb mono, size 1 hook, plastic grub, and a 1/4-1/2oz dropshot. It never fails. Never.

Fishing structure such as jetties, pilings, kelp, and eel grass also plays a factor to a good fish catching day. Hope these tips help!
yea h, it's really weird. I'm fishing the same outfit I always fish. Shimano baitcaster, with 30 lb braid with a 10 lb flouro leader. Until this year I was never completely skunked, even if I was just catching bait on the sabiki. I have been kind of concentrating on getting a legal halibut so I have been bouncing bait more than casting but if I can get a good drift going I will bounce bait and cast a plastic swim bait or underspinner or chatterbait. I have not caught a fish in the bays this year. I knocked off on the bays for a couple of months while the stripers were biting and was catching stripers. I even tried a weightless fluke the other day which has been deadly on certain occasions when the fish got lockjaw, nothing.