Thread: Asuncion 2014
View Single Post
Old 12-08-2014, 04:02 PM   #5
rossman
Marginally Irrelevant

I'll just add to this thread with my input on the trip.

My son and I left early morning on the 26th. We had planned on spemdimg the night in the El Soccorro area just south of San Quintin. However we got there about noon and could not couldn't bare the thought of spending the next 24 hours there and not tearing everything down and going fishing

Name:  IMG_1103.jpg
Views: 1182
Size:  51.4 KB

So we carried on and ended up camping at Punta Baja, down the road and over some washboard for a couple hours. Nice spot for camping and easy kayak launch if you are interested.

Name:  IMG_1114.jpg
Views: 1172
Size:  28.4 KB

Name:  IMG_1115.jpg
Views: 1124
Size:  44.4 KB

Name:  IMG_1113.jpg
Views: 1139
Size:  83.2 KB

We left there about 10 am and were pleasantly surprised that the washboarded road had been graded overnight and we were the first tracks on the freshly graded road. We arrived at our hotel in Guerrero Negro at 2:00 pm on the 27th and Bob Jeff and Sven arrived an hour later. Spent the night there and headed out to Bahia Asuncion the next morning. Arrived at Bahia Asuncion at 11:00 am and picked up the key to the San Roque cabin and unloaded our stuff.

I must say that i was very lax in properly recording this trip. I normally keep a detailed diary of the daily activities which I did not do this time; and I normally take a good number of pictures which I did not do this time.

Here are a few pics.

We caught about 7 of these:

Name:  IMG_1119.jpg
Views: 1131
Size:  42.1 KB

Caught a couple of these. This is a PB for me.

Name:  IMG_1123.jpg
Views: 1132
Size:  47.4 KB

Name:  IMG_1124.jpg
Views: 1139
Size:  41.9 KB

I caught one of these off the beach. I'm rather proud of this one. About 30" which is a pretty good sized southern Baja halibut. It fed us well too.

Name:  IMG_1127.jpg
Views: 1125
Size:  44.6 KB

All the days sort of ran together for me but we had different levels of success every day. Always 3 to 6 YTs in our group, albeit not of the size we experienced in January. Fun, nonetheless. Big chunky calicos were ubiquitous. Lots of scrappy corvina and yellowfin croakers and small halibuts in the surf. BIG Bonito.

Took a walk down the beach and took a shot back towards the cabin.

Name:  IMG_1130.jpg
Views: 1133
Size:  30.2 KB

That's about all I have for now. I know Zed took a bunch more photos and I'm sure he will add some narrative here or start a new thread.

Great place, great food and great company. Can't ask for much more.

If anyone mentions that I got my truck stuck in the surf, you should question any and all input that person has on this trip.
"When beholding the tranquil beauty and brilliancy of the ocean’s skin, one forgets the tiger heart that pants beneath it; and would not willingly remember that this velvet paw but conceals a remorseless fang. "
— Herman Melville

Y'all come see me now, hear!
rossman is offline   Reply With Quote