View Single Post
Old 04-18-2011, 09:32 AM   #7
Fiskadoro

Quote:
Originally Posted by roby View Post
Finally, a cool picture of a midshipman (?). I caught this fishing at Redondo Beach for the Baytubers Tournament.
Baytubers tournaments are a blast. I used to really enjoy the one in Redondo.

Quote:
Originally Posted by roby View Post

That's actually a Sarcastic fringehead.

Quote:
Originally Posted by THE DARKHORSE View Post
...and yet another sarcastic fringehead.

Pound for pound those things are the most agro fish in the ocean.

Weird little hyper aggressive fish that are always defending their territory. Let's just say I have had a few run ins with them as I see them often up at BKR. Fringeheads are more brightly colored then midshipmen with purples reds and even bright yellow markings. They like areas around rocks as they stake out little dens in holes, which they then defend viciously against anything that comes by. Kind of a big fish in their little den thing.

Here's a better view of their markings on a BKR Fringehead I got back about a decade ago.

Midshipmen are plainer, smaller and generally I find them in more muddy areas like harbors. Kind of a duller more slimy form of fringehead.

Both of them have teeth but are essentually harmless. Neither of them are worth anything. You can't really avoid them but I just shake them off when I run into them.

Cool report, congrats on the small butts keep working them and you'll get their bigger girlfriend.

Jim

Last edited by Fiskadoro; 04-18-2011 at 10:08 AM.
Fiskadoro is offline   Reply With Quote