View Single Post
Old 05-01-2018, 10:32 PM   #10
Fiskadoro

Quote:
Originally Posted by DPevin View Post
This, 100%. That is exactly what happened to me. I got lucky, I realized. But even trying to free up the anchor and pulling on it I nearly dunked myself. A kelp clip would be ideal. I just hold on to a strand between my toes, works. My buddies have the kelp clips, I need to pick one up.
I also use a improvised kelp clip when fishing in the kelp, and it doubles for quickly securing fish.

You can see it right above my left hand here:

I now that is a fish not kelp, but it does double duty and that was the only pic I could find of it. That is the rig, a simple stainless clip om a four foot+ rope. I use this kind pf hich I buy at home depot.

You want to get the size that easily clips on the stalk of the kelp but then jams on the roundish float or bladders. Once again if you get hit by a big waves it will rip off a bladder or two but then it will lock up on the next one. Super simple, super easy, very quick to deploy for kelp. For fish I have one end attacked to the yak at all times. I just drop the clip end into the fishes mouth so it falls through the gills, then clip it on the rope, once again very quick and easy, I find it's just as fast as using a dive clip but more maneuverable and more secure for fish then a standard dive clip. I love mine it's one of my must haves for any kayak trip.

Last edited by Fiskadoro; 05-02-2018 at 01:38 PM.
Fiskadoro is offline   Reply With Quote