View Single Post
Old 05-04-2018, 04:56 PM   #3
Tomol

I just went through this process a couple of months ago, moving to a kayak after 30 years of diving out of small Whalers. This forum has been a wealth of info, and kayaking in general has been far more fun than I ever anticipated. It also didn't hurt that in my first dive as I was getting ready to load my gun the biggest wsb I've ever seen lazily swam up to within about 12 feet of me and gave me the finger and swam off while I stared after him impotently. That didn't happen much with boats.

All the advice I got from spearfishermen boiled down to two overwhelming favorites: Trident 15 (older, lighter version) and Scupperpro, both of which I believe are out of production. I was seduced by the storage in the Trident.

I steered away from peddle kayaks because of all the time we spend in the kelp, but then recently, while paddling back to Dana Harbor I got passed by a guy in a Hobie like I wasn't moving. I think he was also drinking a beer. It made me realize most of our time in transit is in clear water, and since you can pull the drive out when you do get to a bed, maybe that's the way to go.

There's a guy named Big Jim who's on a spearfishing forum (not Spearboard) who has been super helpful. Look him up

If you see an old guy in a yellow Trident, stop by and say hi.

Don't forget to get a kelp clip, which is far more practical than an anchor.
Tomol is offline   Reply With Quote