Thread: Islander 6-8-07
View Single Post
Old 06-11-2007, 02:15 PM   #9
madscientist

I had a strange hookup towards the end of the day. We had moved over to the lee side of the island because of a steady 15-20 SW wind. I was out over the first shelf in ~200ft of water. Decided to dead stick a heavy white/glo iron with a couple squid pinned on it. Tossed it out and let it sink. A little ways down the line starts going out too fast so I engage the drag and start winding. Rod loads up a bit then a fish comes flying about 3-4ft out of the water straight off my bow. I was seeing it from the side, looking at it's back, and it looked about 4ft long. Kept winding but didn't feel weight. Jig cut off of 40lb. I'm pretty sure it was not a shark as I have seen them jump before. It looked more long and skinny with no obvious pectorals. I was stunned for a bit but upon reflecting I wonder if it might not have been a little swordie or marlin. There were a bunch of flying fish around. Very strange series of events.

For the record, I kept 4 calicos on the day. Tried for sheephead but just kept getting little whitefish and more calicos.