View Single Post
Old 04-11-2013, 07:42 AM   #4
smithers

Quote:
Originally Posted by WildernessWanker View Post
Arrived at Leo today around 11:30 to squeeze in some last minute fishing, better late than nothing. Checked the forecast on the way and it said 1-2 ft, which it was with the occasional 4-6 footer. While I loaded up the yak I watched the break and timed my exit, which was perfect with the mild surf, until next thing I know I am going over the side. Damn 6 foot wave came out of nowhere and of course I was looking down to double-check my paddle leash so I wasn't prepared . Luckily I bailed and caught the yak only as it was half way rolled over so nothing was lost or destroyed. In the process of catching the yak I did lose my footing on the rocks the beach is known for and managed to scrape up my leg pretty good. After I got everything situated I managed to get out to the kelp beds but with the wind and the current it was impossible to float and fish so I called it a day after a couple hours. Nothing to show for my last-minute excursion except soaked gear and getting banged up.....but at least I didn't lose anything.
I got my yak last year to fish kelp at Leo but only went out there once.
Instead, most trips last year I headed up to Santa Barbara. Camping at Refugio (great launch site and decent fishing) or beach launch just north of there.

Hate the break at Leo. Day I went out was same thing; 1-2 ft forecast but actual waves much bigger. Got lucky that day going out and in but it was so windy I didn't have much fun fishing.
smithers is offline   Reply With Quote