View Single Post
Old 08-31-2010, 07:29 PM   #87
tagyak

wet mount for transponder

i tried to use goop to mount my transponder, but it did not work so well. finally switched it over to a wet mount. thought i would share what i did.

used a plastic container, the cheap type that is sold by glad or reynolds the type that comes in a pack of 5 or something like it. this is so that the plastic is softer and will give with the yak as it twist and turns.
cut out the bottom of the container and used goop to seal the edges. i squeezed alot of it around the bottom of the container then pushed it down to the bottom of the yak behind my sail mast on the hobie, but first took out the sail mast by unscrewing it. than let it kinda set, but before it set thoroughly, i ran my finger around the edges on the inside and out side of the container. felt for open seams. then added more goop around the edges of the container, ran my finger around it again. let it set over night and checked for any leaks. so far so good, no leaks.
took my lid and drilled a hole big enough for the cable, then cut the top of the lid like an X to allow for me to push the transponder thru to the other side. pushed the cable to the hole and used duct tape to seal the bottom of the lid.
i have been using this for a few weeks and had not had any leaks. i transported the yak to L.J. and back. still holding water. hope this helps you guys.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Picture 005.jpg (192.3 KB, 3165 views)
File Type: jpg Picture 007.jpg (177.3 KB, 3158 views)
File Type: jpg Picture 004.jpg (157.0 KB, 3154 views)
File Type: jpg Picture 027.jpg (136.9 KB, 3142 views)
tagyak is offline   Reply With Quote