Thread: The new Guy
View Single Post
Old 04-04-2012, 11:30 AM   #20
taggermike

Take it easy, big fella. Not feeling comfortable solo, getting seasick, dumping rods, thats no way to start out having fun in this sport. It's difficult, not to mention frustating, expensive and occationally dangerous to push or hurry your learning curve. Do you have a history of seasickness? Get that straitend out. SS can mess up your equalibrium. Not good on a yak. Practice your launches and landings a bit befor you load on gear. Knowing how your kayak will respond in different conditions it a GREAT thing to know. Surprises suck in the surf zone. Others may disagree but I have a Prowler 15 and I have never found it to be a good surfing kayak. On top of that it has very small, and not many, scupper holes. 2 are under your butt and 2 are under your feet. When you take a wave in the lap the deck takes what feels like a long time to drain. While its draining the yak is half sunk and handle like a pig. I try to use the big strength that kayak does have. Its fast and I try to pick my time and just sprint paddle for all I'm worth both out and back in. Good luck and enjoy. Mike
taggermike is offline   Reply With Quote