View Single Post
Old 02-15-2017, 10:28 AM   #15
Mr. NiceGuy
Manic for Life

I use a 3 gallon pump sprayer. I bought mine on Amazon Prime based on the highest ratings for a 3 gallon sprayer. Harbor Freight has a 2 gallon sprayer for $15, or a larger 4-gallon backpack configuration for $28.

I replaced the foo-foo wimpy misty garden sprayer wand tip with a dish washing nozzle & hose available from Home Depot for kitchen sinks ($9). The spray and volume is much better. I adapted the two different size hoses & dish spray hose connector with a brass connector from the plumbing department at HD. It's a screw fitting on one side and a press in hose connector on the other. The screw side easily disassembles by hand for convenient stowing in the back of my van.

This is what my adaptation of hoses looks like:

I split a section of typical engine hose to stiffen the smaller plastic tube from the sprayer tank to prevent kinking. From what you see in the photo, I then wrapped the split engine hose tightly with Rescue Tape.

Rescue Tape is a kind of waterproof rubber-like tape that can be applied wet because it bonds/fuses to itself without glue. Suitable for repairing blown radiator hoses, for example. Rescue Tape is also part the small emergency repair & first aid kit I carry in my kayak.

Rescue Tape
https://www.amazon.com/RESCUE-TAPE-B...ds=rescue+tape
Generic "Rescue Tape" for cheaper
https://www.amazon.com/Emergency-Rep...cy+repair+tape

The combination of 3 gallons of water with a dish sprayer works perfectly. I think I wouldn't want to fuss with less than 3-gallon garden sprayer capacity.

3 gallons is enough for most post-fishing purposes, including rinsing poles & equipment, my kayak and myself. I have a 5-gallon sparkletts bottle as backup, but generally don't need it unless fishing buddies want to borrow my sprayer for themselves.

I learned from our local famous Shimano reel service guy (Glenn) that adding 20-30% non-ammonia Windex to my water will repel salt from my gear in sheet-like runoff. If I'm planning to use my sprayer as a personal shower then I keep the water pure. Both approaches work well.

--------

If you are talking about *IN* the kayak, then I'll splash with a cup or use a Shamwow to keep things tidy.

Last edited by Mr. NiceGuy; 02-15-2017 at 11:53 AM.
Mr. NiceGuy is offline   Reply With Quote