View Single Post
Old 03-02-2013, 01:54 PM   #5
Fiskadoro

Quote:
Originally Posted by djphaneuf View Post
If this thread has been done many times just point me to one but I am looking for tips. I have a squid jig. Can see squid on fish finder or other people making them. Put 6 oz weight on it to get it down quick......
How about something different.

First off squid are not mackeral. They aren't going to chase down fast moving baits, and they aren't going to slam your jigs. You're not on a party boat, you're not fishing Iron either. Your six ounce weight is too heavy, it makes your rig sink too fast, it also keeps you from feeling the squid.

Often when I'm out making bait I'll see squid on the meter when I'm not rigged up for them. Instead of using a squid setup I just take my weight off my sabiki rig and put a old school 3 ounce squid jig in it's place. I then let it sink down relatively slowly to the level the squid are. I don't want it going fast because I want the squid to be able to grab the sabiki jigs on the way down. Often a squid grab one of the sabikis and stop it. When this happens I just let it sit for a minute or two and let them load up then bring them up.

The advantage of a sabiki is it works on the sink, and once the squid is hooked it's hooked.

If I don't hook up on the sink I watch the meter and move my rig slowly up and down at the depth they are at. Less is more. Don't jerk it all around.

When I feel the weight of a squid I just start reeling it towards the surface slowly. This keeps any squid that grab the squid jig on the tines, but I'm in no hurry to get it to the surface, there are more squid down there, if you hook one you're likely to get more.

Personally I catch more squid on this jig sabiki rig setup then on the multi bait squid gangion rigs they sell for squid. I think that is true for a few reasons. One I catch a lot of squid in the daytime, sabikis have much lighter leader material so they are less visible. I catch lot of squid when it's not wide open or slow and I use other techniques that work for less aggressive squid then you use with a standard squid rig. I think squid like fish go through feeding behaviors. When it's wide open and they are competing in a big school they will grab big stupid looking stuff. When there are only a few of them down there they will be far less aggressive, and more responsive to something that looks like something they would actually eat..

Think about this for a minute what would a squid likely eat a big thing like a squid jig or small like a sabiki jig? It's kind of a no-brainer.

Squid jig rigs are designed to catch squid from massive schools under lights from a boat. They are designed to help you bait up a party boat fast. They only hook squid when you are pulling them up. So to use them you drop them fast through the squid then slowly reel them back up through the squid. That is how they are designed to work. They are a specific tool designed for a specific job and you know how it is if your a hammer everything looks like a nail so everyone tends to fish them like they are on a boat.

I want to get squid even when there are only a few down there, often in the daytime, I want to be able to get them on the sink etc.... it's just more of a finesse thing, but the sabiki setup works for me.

Last edited by Fiskadoro; 03-02-2013 at 02:12 PM.
Fiskadoro is offline   Reply With Quote